Policies + Guidelines
To help you better understand your responsibilities, here are important policies related to program participation.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS
• Wilderness EMT Upgrade: 16 years of age
• Wilderness First Responder: 16 years of age
• Wilderness Advanced First Aid: 16 years of age
• Wilderness First Aid: 14 years of age
• Bear Spray Certification: 18 years of age
• First Aid Merit Badge: 11 years of age
- Any transfer requests made more than 10 days prior to the course start date will incur a $35 transfer fee, which will automatically be assessed.
- Any transfer requests made within 10 days of a course start date will be DENIED unless for a medical emergency (with Written Documentation).
- Transfer fee must be paid in full in order to transfer to another course.
- Any cancellation requests made more than 10 days prior to the course start date will incur a $50 cancellation fee.
- Any cancellation request made within 10 days of a course start date will result in NO REFUND and NO option to transfer UNLESS due to a medical emergency (with Written Documentation).
- Participants that do not show up to class without communicating their absence prior to class (unless medical emergency and are unable to do so) will NOT receive a refund nor be allowed to transfer their enrollment to a future course.
- Refunds due to course cancellation are made after the registered course date.
CANCELLATIONS - SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
If for any reason Center for Wilderness Safety must cancel a course, all deposits and course payments will be refunded in full or may be transferred to any future course where seats are still available. If a participant does not complete the necessary prerequisites for the class, they will not be permitted to participate in the class and will forfeit any and all tuition amounts paid, receiving no refund or opportunity for transfer into a future course. Center for Wilderness Safety reserves the right to cancel a course for any reason that it deems necessary (low enrollment, act of God, severe inclement weather which effects the safety of participants, etc.). If a course does not meet the minimum required enrollment, that course will be cancelled and students will be given alternative enrollment options.
TUITION PAYMENT POLICY
Tuition payment in full is required to reserve your seat in the course. Tuition is payable by credit card or PayPal via the CWS website or over the phone. The tuition fee covers all textbooks, syllabus, equipment and supplies, as well as certification card, patch, etc. CWS is not obligated to allow any participant to attend a course until all prerequisites and necessary paperwork has been received, reviewed and approved by CWS. A full refund will be given if CWS is forced to cancel the course for any reason.
CWS will NOT issue refunds for accidental or multiple registrations of the same course under any circumstances.
All participants are required to attend all class sessions and field exercises. Limited absences for family or medical concerns can be accommodated with written documentation. Review of missed curriculum or examinations is the student’s responsibility. Contact the office for more information or speak with the instructors on site. Simply not showing up without communicating to the office or instructor before the course has started will result in being marked as a no-show. Successful completion with certification is based on 100% attendance, satisfactory performance on homework assignments and written quizzes, demonstrated proficiency with practical skills, and a successful grade on a final written exam.
For participants who attend and fall ill during a course, rendering them unable to continue to attend the scheduled course, the participant will be asked to retake the course in its entirety. We do not permit participants to simply makeup a single missed day of class at a later date.
Course participants are responsible for their own well-being. This includes good health and strong physical condition, and may be required to obtain a physician's release prior to departure. Participants are expected to act in a considerate manner toward all group members and with respect. Participants are prohibited from using illegal drugs and alcohol while on CWS courses.
Center for Wilderness Safety expects that all participants come prepared to put forth their best effort. Every CWS course requires participants to follow instructions, try new activities and work as part of a team. Our courses are sometimes physically, mentally and emotionally challenging and require a strong commitment from the participant. A participant will be removed from a course by a staff member it they exhibit behavior deemed inappropriate to our school’s mission and policy. The use of illegal drugs and alcohol is against Center for Wilderness Safety policy and will result in expulsion without refund.
Occasionally, Center for Wilderness Safety uses students' names, photos, and other images in promotional material, videos, and press releases. Participants give their consent for CWS to use their photograph, likeness and/or voice to be used in its publications, including websites.
Replacement Certification Cards
There is a $5/card fee for replacement wilderness medicine certification cards. Alternatively, we can email you a verification letter at no charge. Please contact the CWS Office with your request.